Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What Is An Apostrophe?

According to dictionary.com, an apostrophe is:
The superscript sign ( ' ) used to indicate the omission of a letter or letters from a word, the possessive case, or the plurals of numbers, letters, and abbreviations.

or

The direct address of an absent or imaginary person or of a personified abstraction, especially as a digression in the course of a speech or composition.
Apparently, it is also something that throws off my blog.

After looking around, I found code that allows me to give just the first paragraph of my blog with a link that takes you to the full post. There's even a tag that will take you to the place in the post where you left off.

But after a couple of hours of finagling, it turns out that if there is an 'apostrophe' in the title of the post--the code does not work.

Not a clue why, and the apostrophe problem does not effect SerandEz.

So anyway, if you come across a post with an apostrophe missing in the title, it's not due to back grammar or bad syntax.

Just so you know.

3 comments:

Ezzie said...

Ah, but it does affect me! Which is why I switched the continued tags again, and I (annoyingly) have it on every post. Argh.

Daled Amos said...

Then I misunderstood you.
I may have to reconsider my philosophy of apostrophe atrophy.
Obviously, I may also have to go get some sleep.

Anonymous said...

An apostrophe is considered a special character in programming. It is used in most programming languages, so 'variable' is the name of a variable and the program expects you to do something with it. When it sees an apostrophe, it's waiting for the second one.

There are escape characters. Wordpress uses the / as an escape before an apostrophe.

However, nothing I do is making L'il Mamzer's comments show up for automatic approval on my weblog, and since he refuses to give up the apostrophe, his comments always go into the moderation queue.