Tuesday, July 24, 2007

MISSIONARIES ON TISHA B'AV: A bad combination. When I came home after Kinos, I saw a handful of them coming out of the house next door--and they saw me. The man in the lead came over, smiling, and offered me a pamphlet.

Normally, I just try to match them--smile for smile--but the incongruity of the situation bugged me.

I asked him if he knew what today was.
Naturally, he didn't--no reason why he should.
I explained to him about Tisha B'Av, about what happened on that day throughout history: including the Crusades and the Jews slaughtered by the Crusaders on the way to recapture Jerusalem.

His response: Well, that's your opinion.

I told him, no...it's historical fact.

His response: That's your opinion.

Rather than lose my temper, I went inside...where I thought about all the come-backs I could have said. For instance, I could have responded that some of his beliefs were based on opinion.

My favorite response would have been the 'Muslim' response, something filled with outrage like this:
What? Jews were killed during the Crusades and you say that is merely an opinion? Six million Jews were slaughtered by the Nazis--and you're telling me that is only an opinion too?! How dare you desecrate the memories of Jews who have been murdered...
Of course I would have been twisting his words, making a scene, and possibly intimidating him and the rest of his group, but it does seem to work.

Technorati Tag: and .

1 comment:

Esser Agaroth said...

B"H I go back and forth on how to respond. I recently wrote about a personal experience. As you know Yad leAchim has a branch in the US now. Along with R' Tovia Singer and Jews for Judaism, they may opps. to volunteer, suggest for how to handle things, or a contact in order to report these kinds of activities.